Saturday, August 15, 2015

H. Schussman Interviews D.K. Christi

D.K. Christi

Heidi:
First, D.K., tell us a little about yourself.
D. K.:
I am a romantic and a lover of history and natural environments. The sea rests my soul and the Everglades give me life. I find joy in beauty and diversity and I have worked in exotic, foreign locations that enriched my life and broadened my understanding of human nature. I lived with my family cruising the Caribbean on our yacht Lady Ace for three years, experiencing the power of nature. I love to tell about those adventures and am a professional presenter at organizations and events. I write because I must and am thrilled when others enjoy the stories I tell.
My career includes CEO responsibility for regional implementation of public/private programs to help specific populations from unemployed to migrant and seasonal farmworkers. I wrote and implemented successful grants in the $millions and worked across the nation on behalf of persons needing services and support to find a quality life.

Heidi:
What genre do you write?
D. K.:
Whatever is required by the situation is what I write. Romance? Okay. Paranormal? Okay. Non-fiction? Okay. Essay? Okay. General Fiction? Okay. Writing is as natural to me as breathing and I have spent my career engaged in writing of all types for various purposes. I can write about anything for hire from technical manuals to a romantic tryst to a web site. I am also an experienced editor and write for a newspaper.

Heidi:
When did you start writing?
D. K.:
I wrote seriously in high school for WKBZ news. By college, I was writing short stories. I wrote curriculum for universities and state departments of education and for the U.S. Army in South Korea. Often I was called on to present at national conferences and direct workshops and developed a strong speaking voice and interactive presentation style I use today to talk about my novels, writing and other topics from communication to change strategy.

Heidi:
What are you working on now?
D. K.:
I write for Spotlight magazines in print and online. I also write for Examiner.comand AXS.com. I have two novels in progress, Caribbean Odyssey and Escape to love. The first is part of the Bamboo Ring series that includes the currently available Ghost Orchid and Bamboo Ring and the second is a story of tunneling to escape a northern POW camp during the civil war by my several greats grandfather.

Heidi:
Who is your favorite character in your stories?
D. K.:
I'd have to favor Mel since she appears in all the stories, often found lacking sympathy by readers. However, Neev in Ghost Orchid is a close second.

Heidi:
Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
D. K.:
Bits and pieces of all the people I know, including me, are condensed in my characters. Readers love to love and hate them, often making comments about their choices and values as they would gossiping about friends. They also shed tears for the emotional moments my characters experience. They are very realistic in their thoughts and behaviors - like friends, family and neighbors.

Heidi:
Where do you write? Describe your workspace?
D. K.:
I have a great home office with a wall of windows where I watch the cardinals, turtles and rabbits when I drift away from my writing. I love taking short cruises to write also.

Heidi:
Who are your all-time favorite authors? 
D. K.:
Antone St. Exuperey and Dom Luis are two favorites, one for allegory and the second for philosophy. I always loved Russian historical novels and spy novels. While I enjoy watching science fiction, it's difficult to find books I like to read.

Heidi:
Did you find writing a query letter a challenge? If so, how did you overcome it?
D. K.:
I find the entire marketing of my work a challenge. I am accustomed to marketing and public relations for others and know it quite well. I find it difficult to promote myself and am uncomfortable with it. I have the knowledge and the tools and do use them. However, I am a person who prefers a publicist and a publisher that includes promotional support.

Heidi:
What advice do you have for a writer aspiring to be published?
D. K.:
Be patient. Be sure what is written is something others wish to read by working with professional critique groups and testing your ability to sell your writing by submitting to magazines and contests. Be sure work is edited by a professional editor and goes forward with zero errors and zero inconsistencies. Attempt to get an agent and let them market to publishers and advise regarding the fine points in a contract. Get a proper contract example from someone who is a member of the Author's Guild. Make sure connections and networking are already in place before publication.

Heidi:
Would you like to acknowledge someone for their help/assistance/faith in you/etc?
D. K.:
My muse and the love of my life provided significant inspiration for my best writing, my mom has been a great reader and helps me with book signings and fairs and my friend, Judy Schuitema, is my first editor.Lisa Smith and Linda Houle at the now closed L & L Dreamspell represented all a small press should be. I miss working with them.

Heidi:
What works are currently available?
D. K.:
My current publications are fiction novels. I'm thrilled that Vinspire is re-printing Ghost Orchid with an October release date. This novel of love, loss and redemption, surrounded with coincidences and the mystery of ghost orchids has thrilled many readers who are mesmerized as I am by the rare and endangered ghost orchid of Corkscrew Swamp and its affect on those caught by its spell. Bamboo Ring, the prequel to Ghost Orchid tells the back story of Mel, a character in Ghost Orchid and is rich with exotic, foreign locations and adventure.


D. K. Christi, M.Ed., CWDP 
Consultant, Speaker, Author & Journalist
Member, Authors Guild & Naples Press Club
www.dkchristi.com
Spotlight Magazines
AXS
Examiner
Ghost Orchid book trailer by Darryl Saffer 
Bamboo Ring-New fiction novel 

5 comments:

  1. What a fascinating and diverse life style D.K. Greatninterview Ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest. I am so glad to meet other authors. They all have their own unique story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I love the advice to new writers to submit to magazines and contests. They are a great way to build your resume and practice your craft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! Thanks for letting us in on D.K.'s interesting background.

    ReplyDelete