Monday, February 15, 2016

H. Schussman Interviews Ronovan Hester

I’ve been looking forward to this interview, Ronovan. Your constant help to new aspiring authors has earned you a place among the leaders in the literary world. It’s a pleasure to interview such a great guy, but I have to say… You are so normal and approachable. All of us are forever in your debt and are looking forward to getting to know you a little better.


So, let’s get started:

Heidi:
What genre do you write?
Ronovan:
Historical Fiction seems to be my natural leaning. Although, I have been working on a Southern Contemporary Romance for a while now. For the most part history finds its way into my thoughts. I have several manuscripts that deal with something to do with the past.

Heidi:
When did you start writing?
Ronovan:
I guess it's been at least 20 years now, but the real sit down and do it part has been the last few years. That's when I began to pay more attention the craft of writing itself, in how to tell a story the right way.

Heidi:
What are you working on now?
Ronovan:
I'm working on the Southern Romance I mentioned. I also have a YA Historical Adventure I go to when my brain needs a rest from the Romance. The YA book is one I wrote in the present but it's gone back and forth between past and present in the idea stages. The manuscript is complete in the present version but I want to change it.

Heidi:
Who is your favorite character in your stories?
Ronovan:
In the book I just released, Amber Wake: Gabriel Falling, Captain Gabriel Wallace is my favorite for various reasons. I also like a character named Gimby, he's the helmsman for Wallace's ship and has a matter of fact way about him people can't help but like.

Heidi:
Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
Ronovan:
I put a lot of me into Wallace. I have a co-author, PS Bartlett, so she took some of me out of there when she added her details, but that's fine. The core of Wallace is still me for the most part. I don't think you can write convincingly unless you tap into some deep hidden part of you when you write the antagonist in a story. We all have those moments of utter dislike and frustration we can channel.

Heidi:
Where do you write? Describe your workspace?
Ronovan:
I write in my bedroom. Having some medical issues I tend to spend time in as quiet a place as I can. I suffer from migraines that don't stop, just vary in degree. They are present 24/7. Writing helps a little. I get the ideas that run through my head during those sleepless moments down on paper. It's one reason I can write as much and as fast as I do.

Heidi:
What was it like to be a co-author? Did you have to consult regularly with P.S. Bartlett regarding the story, or were you given a free reign?
Ronovan:
I had free reign writing the first draft. Then I past it over to her to add her touches and adjust here and there to match up with her future stories and ideas in a series she is writing that involves a couple of the characters. She would at times ask me about Wallace or other characters while she was writing her current trilogy to get some details she could use. I would only advise co-authoring if you work together through the process in outlining and getting the ideas down for direction and character basics. It will save a lot of pain and agony later.

Heidi:
Why did P.S. Bartlett choose you to write the prequel to her pirate series?
Ronovan:
After reviewing her book The Blue Diamond: The Razor's Edge, and then interviewing her, we became friends and talked a lot. We both felt her book deserved more attention than it was getting and I saw the world she had created as being filled with potential. The idea of a prequel series of how Ivory Shepard, her main character, became a pirate captain. At the same time the idea of the sequel to Blue Diamond was discussed with only a couple of basics thought of at the time. One character came up that had red hair, blue eyes, and would be the influence for Ivory in her pirate development. We thought we could get a lot more done if we both wrote. She worked on the trilogy, and I Amber Wake. From the physical description of a man named Rasmus, I created Captain Gabriel Wallace of the Royal Navy and the rest of the characters in the book. Only one character appears that came from any other stories already written. I thought the appearance of Ivory's love interest in The Blue Diamond would be a nice addition, and an awkward situation in the future.

Heidi:
What advice do you have for a writer aspiring to be published?
Ronovan:
Take your time and find your voice. Do that by trying to write different genres outside your comfort zone and you might be surprised at what you can write. Listen to those who have made it in the business. And know there is more than one way to get where you want to go. I never expected to co-author a book with anyone, and never a Historical Adventure involving some pirates. Although Amber Wake is not exactly a pirate novel. It's more of a war against an enemy novel.

Heidi:
Would you like to acknowledge someone for their help/ assistance/faith in you/etc?
Ronovan:
Pretty much all of those that follow me on my blog RonovanWrites have been encouraging. Florence Thum, a law professor in Australia has been a big supporter and honest. She doesn't pull punches. The beta-readers of the book, Colleen Chesebro and author Annette Rochelle Aben have been great. I recently connected with a writing mentor of sorts in Claire Fullerton who is guiding me along the way in suggestions. It's an informal thing, but I enjoy her writing and I would like to capture that feel in my Southern Romance, and she's southern like I am. We ended up having more things in common than we realized. And oddly my cat Spunky. When you need those quiet times to get away from the pain of writing and the world, it's nice to have something that is amusing and will just enjoy being with you. Spunky has appeared on my blog as well as a friend's blog and is kind of popular. For a guy with constant noise in his head from a concussion he suffered over 2 years ago, a quiet friend like Spunky is a blessing.

Here are some easy ways to purchase Amber Wake, Gabriel Falling.


You may connect with Ronovan through:
Amazon Author Page: Ronovan Hester
Amazon UK Author Page: Ronovan Hester
Author Site: RonovanHester.com
Book Review Site: LitWorldInterviews.com
Goodreads: Ronovan Hester
Twitter: @RonovanWrites
Facebook: Ronovan Writes
Google+: Ronovan Writes
LinkedIn: Ronovan Hester
About.me: Ronovan

Pinterest: RonovanWrites

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Heidi. You put this together so well and made me sound great. Did I really give those answers? Just kidding. You make me out to be bigger in the circle of author supporters than I am but I appreciate it all the same.

    Much Admiration and Respect to You,
    Ronovan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's from the heart! You are truly a great supporter of the writing community.

      Delete
  2. Wow! The pair of you are impressive! This is a top-notch interview, and I commend you both. And Ronovan, don't sell yourself short; every complimentary word Heidi wrote in her introduction is true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's a nice lady. :) And so are you. Must be something about the company you two are in. o,O I'm still trying to figure out what I just said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in good company when we are with you. When are you going to fly solo and write another book?

      Delete
  4. Great interview, Heidi! It was really nice to learn more about you, Ronovan. I so much appreciated the way you promoted my book and went out of your way to tweet. I'm so sorry you suffer from migraines and hope they will be less painful in the future. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed your book and think it could be a good TV series. A very good character.

      Delete
  5. Thank you! Heidi is awesome. A good lady to know. I think you two would hit it off very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! I enjoyed the questions and answers. Congratulations to Ron on the release of his new book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Vashti. :) Hoping to see that book of yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read some of your reviews Colleen, they are always well thought out. I appreciate your stopping by my site :)

    ReplyDelete