Tuesday, February 21, 2017

New Book Cover for El Tiburon

I am happy in a bittersweet way for my new book cover, El Tiburon. It was a difficult decision and honestly not easy for Vinspire Publishing to do.

Let me take you back to the day I received my book cover. I was thrilled to be published and felt a constant flutter of excitement and awe that I'd been published by a real publisher. They accepted my book on the basis of it being an ethnic romance... she's black, he's white. They are madly in love. They have the hots for each other.

The cover did a good job of portraying that passion, but that was only a small glimpse into their lives. Their passion was much deeper than a kiss. It was an "I will do anything to save her life" kind of love. It's a married love.


Vinspire has a history of working with Christian authors. I'm a Christian author. A good fit. I felt Vinspire was visionary for seeing El Tiburon as a romance.

That being said, I began to perceive the cover was not a good representation of the content. Readers who wanted a sultry romance were disappointed. My audience (men and women who like a good suspense conspiracy story) was not interested in buying the book based on the cover. I even had several reviewers comment on the cover.

One of the things I found surprising about El Tiburon was the story was different to me than what the book cover gave me the impression of. I ended up with a well paced thriller, squarely focused on the mission and not a man-saves-woman-and-then-sex or that chauvinistic vein of thriller.~Ronovan

First thing, DON'T LET THE COVER FOOL YOU. This is not a macho man saves beautiful woman thing. That's a husband and wife on the cover. This book DESERVES a worthy cover that tells the story better.


You'd think it would be an easy process, but it's not. Dawn Carrington sent me several options of different models and backdrops, but none were an improvement. The male always looked either to polished or to rough... poor Dawn. She persevered, and finally we decided on no models.

So, I say goodbye to my first book cover designed by
a publisher (I designed Counterpart's cover), and say hello to the new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment