Saturday, March 28, 2015

H. Schussman interviews Judith Ingram

Judith Ingram Interview

Heidi:
First, Judith, tell us a little about yourself?
Judith:
I was born and raised in the San Francisco East Bay Area and got so spoiled with the beautiful weather and scenery that I'm still here! I've been married to my favorite person in the world for 43 years. We have one daughter and one granddaughter. I've worked as a counselor and as a copyeditor, taught grammar and Bible, and love reading, walking, and watching movies. I'm an INTJ (a Meyers-Briggs Temperament type), my favorite color is ocean blue, my favorite animal is feline, and I like my coffee black and bold.

Heidi:
What genre do you write?
Judith:
Genre is a moving target for me. I've written inspirational nonfiction and a paranormal (time-travel) romance trilogy. The novel I'm working on right now I'd call Christian romantic suspense. I also post weekly Christian devotionals about forgiveness on my blog; when I get to 365, I'll pull them all together into a book, Forgiving Day-by-Day (only 269 entries left to go!).

Heidi:
When did you start writing?
Judith:
My first memorable writing project was a short story I wrote in first grade about a poodle. It was reprinted in the school newsletter—my first publishing success! I was fascinated by my aunt's old Underwood typewriter, and I tapped out sheets and sheets of meandering stories just so I could staple them together to make "books." I don't recall a definitive moment when I decided I was a writer; I just always felt like one.

Heidi:
What are you working on now?
Judith:
I just started first-round edits on Into the Mist, the final book in my time-travel romance trilogy, due for release in July 2015 from VinspirePublishing. This third book in the series brings to a climax the story of Victoria and Katherine, two women born over a century apart who suddenly awaken in each other's bodies. Each finds hope, romance, and a family to love in the other woman's world. As the year of exchange draws to a close, however, each fears she will lose all she has gained unless she finds a way to outwit destiny and hold tight to her borrowed life.

Heidi:
Who is your favorite character in your stories?
Judith:
My favorite human character has to be Michael, Victoria's romantic interest. He is so honest, tender, and funny; I enjoyed every scene I wrote for him. In so many ways he reflects my husband, whom I definitely adore! My favorite non-human character is Henry, the cat, who steadfastly befriends Katherine's shy little brother, Robbie. Ever the shrewd judge of character, Henry confirms for the reader whom to love and whom to hate in the novel.

Heidi:
Do you see yourself in any of your characters?
Judith:
Oh, yes! I am Victoria, and I am Katherine, my two protagonists! Those two characters, with all their flaws and longings, grew right out of my own heart. Just like them, I survived an abusive childhood that haunted me, and it was through my personal recovery in therapy that their story emerged as a tale that needed to be told. I am convinced that our darkest experiences can provide fertile material for storytelling if we will do the brave work of facing them truthfully.

Heidi:
Where do you write? Describe your workspace.
Judith:
My favorite place to write is at my desk in my little home study, surrounded by books and pictures of the people and places I love best. My window faces east, so California sunshine greets me with optimism most mornings. I need quiet when I write. I don't play music or write in busy places like coffee shops. I am by nature so single-minded that I can hardly talk and drive a car at the same time. I write the same way, totally immersed in my story or essay. I prefer typing on the computer to writing longhand because I can get the words out faster.

Heidi:
If you could change places with your favorite author for one week, who would it be?
Judith:
No question, I would change places with Daphne du Maurier. I would love to feel the magic of her genius flow through my fingers and appear on manuscript pages. Perhaps if I didn't take time to eat or sleep, I could write a manuscript as enduring as Rebecca in that seven-day gift of time!

Heidi:
Describe your experience of querying agents and publishers. Any tips?
Judith:
My first published book, A Devotional Walk with Forgiveness, is a five-week daily excursion into the reasons why forgiveness is important and how we can begin to practice it. The book works well as a study text for small groups, and a couple of groups went through the study while the book was still in its draft form. A friend of mine who went through the study mentioned the book to another friend, who just happened to be a published author herself. This author generously offered to introduce me to her publisher if I would send along a query letter. The publisher was looking for just this sort of book and eventually offered me a contract. Tip: Write the best book you possibly can and then stand behind it. Your query letter is your opportunity to convince an agent or a publisher exactly how and why readers everywhere will be better off with your book in their hands. Believe it!

Heidi:
What advice do you have for a writer aspiring to be published?
Judith:
Find ways to connect with published authors, editors, and book marketers. Join a local writers group, attend writers’ conferences, and network online with others who have similar interests to yours. In my experience most authors are glad to share their knowledge and help other writers to achieve their publishing goals. Learn how to promote yourself and your work without apology, and be ready to take the next step when the door opens (and it will!).

Heidi:
What is your favorite thing about writing?
Judith:
Among the many things I enjoy about writing, one of my favorites is being surprised when I write. For example, a fiction character may reveal something about herself that I didn't know when I sat down to write a scene, or she will generate dialogue that I did not intend to write. Often when I write inspirational nonfiction, something wise or profound will present itself in the mere process of typing out my thoughts. Writing is wonderfully mysterious and creative.

Heidi:
How can your fans connect with you?
Judith:
Lots of ways...


Website (includes weekly devotional on forgiving)


5 comments:

  1. Lovely interview Heidi and Judith....and California sunshine! I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Judith and Heidi. What a lovely little chat! Judith's trilogy sounds wonderfully creative, and her idea for a book of 365 days of inspirational quotes sounds like something I'd stand in line to acquire! Well done, the pair of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both...and yes the California sunshine is lovely! We could stand some rain right about now though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The time-travel trilogy sounds really interesting. I always love a good time-travel story!

    And can I just say an "Amen" to this quote: "I am convinced that our darkest experiences can provide fertile material for storytelling if we will do the brave work of facing them truthfully."

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Judith; promote yourself and your work without apology, and be ready to take the next step when the door opens. Great advice.

    ReplyDelete